“Justice is doing for others what we would want done for ourselves”
– Gary Haugen, International justice mission.
I accept instructions on the following matters:
- PAL1-4 Legally aided matters;
- All private criminal law matters from minor driving matters to serious violent, sex or drug crime.
- Regulatory charges;
- Parole hearings;
- Proceeds of crime (including civil legal aid);
- Court of Appeal and Supreme Court;
I have a BA (psychology) /LLB and an LLM (1st) from Auckland University.
I spent 18 months in general practice before joining the Crown. I was at Meredith Connell for 12 years, becoming a senior prosecutor in 2007 and an Associate of the firm in 2009. I joined the Public Defence Service in 2014, leaving in 2016 to commence practice as a barrister sole.
I have appeared in over 60 jury trials from 1 day to 4 months in length across the full spectrum of crime. I have appeared in over 50 appeals, 100 pre-trial arguments, and been involved in file preparation of over 1000 files. For a full precis of my experience and expertise please see my LinkedIn profile.
My strengths are:
- Technical analysis of the law - I love the black letter law, evidential sufficiency and the challenge of fraud or large drug intercept files.
- Court advocacy - I am tenacious and persistent in Court. I will undertake agency work when you are unavailable. I will perform to the highest standard on your behalf.
- Legal Strategy - I have strong strategic skills. I understand the court system, the way people behave and the need to utilise this insight to get the best outcome.
- Written submissions - I draft concise and economical legal submissions or opinions for you and your clients.
I am authorised to take direct instructions from clients if you would like to pass on work outside of your area of expertise, but equally happy to work with an instructing solicitor.